The State Gallery is comprised today of three
buildings. The oldest part of the gallery, known
today as the Old State Gallery, was constructed
during 1838 to 1843 by Gottlob Georg Barth as
the Museum of Picture Art.
In 1984, the Old State Gallery was joined by the
New State Gallery and constructed by the English
master architect James Stirling. The Swiss architects,
Wilfrid und Katharina Steib, annexed the Old State
Gallery in 2002.
While the Old State Gallery contains works from
the Middle Ages to the 19th century, the New State
Gallery contains art from the 20th century, including
works from Braque, Chagall, Debuffet, Klee, Koloschka
and Nolde. Futhermore, the Gallery has one of
the most important collections of Picasso's work
to be seen.
In addition to the featured paintings, sculptures,
and photography, the largest collection of European
drawings and printed graphics within Germany,
with more than 400,000 papers, can also be viewed.